For your site
Here is a tarantula from the Dominican Republic taken this past November. He was about six inches in length and we saw him on a sidewalk at night. I think his designs are beautiful!
Julie Ferwerda

Hi Julie,
Thanks for sending us your beautiful Dominican Tarantula.

Update: (01/06/2006)
ID on the Dominican Tarantula?
Hi Daniel and Lisa Anne,
I don’t in any way claim to be a spider expert, but the Dominican tarantula from 01/05/2007? I think it’s the same species as the one from Nevis whose picture I sent you 10/05/2006, in other words: Acanthoscurria antillensis Pocock, 1903. There a nice picture of one at:
http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/english/acanthoscurria-antillensis-id269.html
Very best to you,
Susan J. Hewitt

Wow Susan,
That was fast. Thanks for the information.

Update: (02/05/2007)
About ‘Donkey Spider from West Indies’
Hi again Daniel and Lisa Ann,
I was interested to see the Giant Crab Spider or Banana Spider (Olios sp.) from St. Kitts; images which R. Fields sent in on 1/25/2007. I vacation on Nevis each year and St. Kitts is the sister island, only 2 miles away. English names are notoriously unreliable, but I believe that the creature which is usually referred to on St. Kitts and Nevis as the ‘Donkey Spider’ is the Antillean Tarantula, (Acanthoscurria antillensis), which is furry and colored like a donkey. The image of the one I found on Nevis is on your Spider Page 8, listed as ‘Caribbean Tarantula (10/05/2006)’ and described as a Donkey Spider. On the same page there is an image of what is probably the same species, ‘Tarantula from Dominican Republic (01/05/2007)’. I believe that on St. Kitts and Nevis, the giant crab spider (Olios sp. of the Sparassidae) is usually called a ‘Banana Spider’ or a “Yellow Spider”. Of course the two species are not at all closely related, but they are the two biggest spiders on those islands, they both only come out at night, and so I suppose some people might confuse them one with the other. They both can bite if you hassle them enough, but neither is dangerous to people. Best,
Susan J. Hewitt

Location: Dominican Republic

One Response to Tarantula from Dominican Republic

1. damn, these spiders look nasty…