Can You help
What is this fellow please…..He was on the south coast of NSW on a headland in amongst Banksia, grasses, ferns and she oak on Burri Point near Batemans Bay. Thanks,
Warren Feakes

Hi Warren,
This is a Weevil, a type of Beetle. The markings resemble those of a Botany Bay Weevil, though in your photo they appear white and not pale blue. It might be a color variation, or just an inaccurate rendition of the photographic image, or possibly a different species.

One Response to Botany Bay Weevil from Australia

1. drtjhawkeswood says:

Yes indeed this is the Botany Bay Diamond Weevil, Chrysolopus spectabilis. It is very variable in colour, ranging from greenish to bright light blue. I think there is only one species. Adults are also variable in size and this variation is not sex dependent.

The biology and behaviour of this weevil has been reviewed by me in papers 104 and 171 available as free pdf files from my website, http://www.calodema.com

Best regards, Trevor