Bug ID
Could you identify this bug for me? Central Florida, December, it is about an inch to inch-and-half long anf flat. Thanks
Ken Pichon

Hi Ken,
This is an immature Stink Bug in the family Pentatomidae. We are curious as to the large size, so we tried to identify the species on BugGuide. We found several photos of the adult Spined Green Stink Bug, Loxa flavicollis, which is found in Florida. There is also mention of another member in the same genus, Loxa viridis, but no image. As BugGuide does not show any immature specimens, we are not sure if the spines are only present on the adults. We will try to do additional research, including contacting Eric Eaton. If this is a member of the genus Loxa, we are requesting your permission to post the image to BugGuide as well. Here is Eric’s input: “It is a stinkbug nymph, have no idea what genus or species. Florida has so many more species than the rest of the U.S., including more introduced, exotic species, that I can’t help much with many of the Florida insect IDs. Please try Julieta Brambila, though, as the Heteroptera (Hemiptera) are her specialty, and she is IN Florida. Eric”

Permission granted. Thank you for your help. I look forward to hearing of any new information.
Ken

Happy Holidays! I have forwarded the image to the pentatomid expert Joe Eger. Let’s wait for his answer. I only have one reference specimen of an immature of Loxa, and it definitely does not reach one inch, but looks similiar to the photo, though not in color since the photograph is of a live insect. Nice photo. We’ll see what Joe says. Thanks,
Julieta
Here is Joe’s answer. “Feliz Navidad a day late. I agree that this thing looks like Loxa. It looks like a pretty mature nymph so the size is not too far off. I can be pretty certain that this is Loxa sp. – May be L. flavicollis or L. viridis – I can’t separate nymphs.”

3 Responses to Spined Green Stink Bug Nymph

1. hanna fagan says:

What can this bug do to you I just got bit by one last night and it leafy a big red welt on my back and it hearts like hell I can’t even lay on my back

If you are in pain, we would urge you to seek medical attention from a professional. To the best of our knowledge, the Spined Green Stink Bug is not venomous, but you may have had an allergic reaction.