Very cool bugs… I am an avid gardener and I have never seen one of these before!
Hi there,
Bug #1: I found this bug on an annual Vinca plant I had potted on my back porch this past summer. It looks like he has sucking mouth parts. My plant seemed to be okay after he was done doing whatever it was he was doing. Bug#2: I spotted this guy on the side of my house one night. He seemed to be drawn towards the outdoor light. Sorry, the photo is not as good. I have tried to do my own research many times and have not had any luck. Have you ever typed "yellow bug" in your search engine? Ha! Ha! At the rate I am going we will all be extinct and it will not matter what the heck kind of bug this is anyway! Ha! Ha! Ha! You have a wonderful website. Every time I have been to your site to identify something I get side tracked. I don’t know what I like more, the cool bug photos or the stories that accompany them. Keep up the great work! Thank you for your time,
Barbara
Richmond, Virginia

Pselliopus Assassin BugAilanthus Webworm Moth

Hi Barbara,
Thanks for you nice letter. If an heroic attempt to prevent our extinction, we are thrilled to identify you Assassin Bug, an important predatory species that will devour many pests in your garden. This beauty is in the genus Pselliopus. We found a perfect match on BugGuide. Next time someone tries to type yellow bug into their search engine, they should be lead to the correct answer. Your second unknown is an Ailanthus Webworm Moth. We have heard that the innapropriately named Tree of Heaven, the Ailanthus Tree, has invaded nearly 30% of the Shenandoah National Forest, which is probably accounting for the increase in sightings of the lovely moth. The tree is a horrible invasive species that is found along the roadsides in most parts of the country. The tree spreads by seeds as well as a vigorous root system and is considered on of our most important exotic invaders. Sadly, the moth larvae just eat the leaves and are not wood borers which might actually help control the tree.