Albino Carpenter Female??
I was relaxing on my back patio in San Jose CA when this 1in+ bee fell, landing on it’s back I put the oak leaf on it so that it could turn itself over then ran inside to get my camera. I was very thankful that it didn’t fly away when I got back. I was able to get 3 decent pictures before it decided to leave. Any help identifying this green eyed beauty would be appriciated.
Michael Blair

Hi Michael,
This beauty is a normally colored Male Valley Carpenter Bee. The species exhibits sexual dimorphism, with the females being blue-black and the males golden with green eyes. The males are generally short lived, nervous active creatures. We usually see them in the spring here in Los Angeles.

2 Responses to Valley Carpenter Bee Male

1. Annita Spencer says:

My boyfriend and I saw two golden male Valley Carpenter bees today flying amongst seven females. We thought they were albinos and amazed there were two of them.
    Sadly, this awesome wonder was tainted by the fact the bees had all just lost their homes because the landlord unnecessarily removed a dead Mulberry tree which many carpenter bees had been using for months. The poor bees hovered about for awhile looking for the missing tree and acting like they were double checking their navigation. Some would hover and land on the ground where leftover wood chips still remained, particularly the males. One by one they left to scout out a new place to make home. One female was already checking our neighbor’s eaves for a good spot. Goodbye gentle carpenters. Your fate is ours as well, for the landlord is selling our trailer park, and that right soon.

Once a Valley Carpenter Bee is in the winged adult form, it no longer returns to the nest. A female Valley Carpenter Bee will search for a new location to construct a nest for her brood. Male Valley Carpenter Bees never return to a nest as their primary interest is finding a mate, though defending territory for a potential nesting site is a possibility. Good luck with your own relocation.