What are these 2 bugs?
BugMan,
Can you please tell the full name of the green & black bugs? Thanks
Leon

Hi Leon,
In the most general sense, this is a Hornet capturing a Caterpillar. Since you did not provide global coordinates, identification to the species level is not assured. The Hornet might be Vespa crabro, the European Hornet which was introduced to the eastern U.S. and is common locally in some areas, including Pennsylvania. The caterpillar is quite generic, possibly in the Pieridae. Adult Hornets are generally nectar feeders, but they are social creatures and will capture Caterpillars and other insects. They will then chew them and regurgitate them for the larval hornets in the nest. Eric Eaton corrected us by writing in: “The hornet is indeed a Vespa species, just not V. crabro.”

Hi, Thank you at first. And the pic was took in Guangzhou, China. Guangzhou is near the Hongkong. May be it is a suprise to you, 🙂 I got knowing your website from the Click(Webscrape) progam of BBC world.
Leon

Location: China

2 Responses to Hornet (Vespa velutina) captures Caterpillar

1. venomman says:

Hello BugMan
    I am quite sorry to say you identified the hornet wrongly. The hornet appears to be a worker of
    Vespa velutina, the asian predatory hornet. This hornet is widely distributed through asia and can be quite defensive to boot!