Mysterious Moths, part 3
My opinion of a unique personal observation of insect species was forever changed when I saw this moth (twice in two days, no less!) in north-central Michigan on Labor Day. This moth is the classic colors or birch tree bark and I assume it makes its home among them. There are hundreds of them on this privately-owned wooded hunting property. Its abdomen looks like a fluffy tail of a gray squirrel. Its "head" and foremost sets of limbs look like those of a snow-white siberian husky. The dorsal crest on the thorax is shiny and dark brown and looks very much like tree sap. The wings are alternating dark browns, grays, and white. This moth was found sunbathing on the textured white vinyl siding of a pole barn one day and then on a concrete driveway the next. Is this a fantastic evolutionary result of a species living exclusively on the bark of birch trees? Thanks,
Anthony
Royal Oak, MI

Hi again Anthony,
We located a web reference to the Large Tolype, Tolype velleda, that mentions the similarity in coloration to birch trees, but as the moth ranges south to Texas, the protective coloration theory might not be accurate.