Black and Yellow Caterpillar
Help! I found a couple of these at Lake Tahoe, I followed them around for awhile, then said goodbye. I’d really like to know what kind it is and what it will turn into.
Sharon Dellinger

Hi Sharon,
Until someone informs us otherwise, be believe this to be the Spotted Tussock Moth Caterpillar, Lophocampa maculata, formerly Halisidota maculata. Many times the caterpillar has black tufts along the dorsal ridge, but we have located an image online that resembles your specimen.

3 Responses to Spotted Tussock Moth Caterpillar

1. kenstrothkamp says:

Am doing a research project on this species and would like to get date of phopto, exact location, etc. Please contact me at kgs@lclark.edu. Thanks

Hi Ken,
      We see that you posted comments on all the photos of this species that are on our site. Good luck getting the information you requested since many of those postings are many years old. Sadly, we do not maintain contact information on our contributors.

2. kenstrothkamp says:

I realize they are old photos but I’m hoping to find at least some of the photographers.

Thanks.

Ken