Help?
Please don’t ask where I took these photos but these "bugs", I am guessing larvae of some sort, were discovered in a refrigerator and freezer which has had no power for numerous months and obviously wasn’t cleaned out prior to the power being turned off. They are approx 1 inch or so long and kind of a grey color. I have a couple more pictures if necessary. Several of these things were seen on the floor and what I would "guess" is excrement can be found in large quantities near an open bag of grits. Trails lead from the cupboards to the fridge. There were no flies to be seen in the house, only spiders and fleas. Estimated count is well into the hundreds. We would like to fumigate this place and clean it out really well but would like to know what we’re up against first. Can you help us out? Other than using LOTS of bleach, are there any special precautions we should take (gloves and respirator a given)? Thank you in advance,
Dave

Hi Dave,
Your image isn’t detailed enough for an exact identification, but your vivid description indicates Mealworms. Mealworms in the genus Tenebrio are the largest Pantry Beetles. The size you indicate as well as the food source, the grits, makes this a near certain positive identification. You do not need special precautions when cleaning, just a strong stomache.