Hi! I know you are busy bug lover, but can you help me identify this spider?
I have never seen anything like this, but then again, I have been in Florida only for about a year, and I can’t say i have gotten any where near a full idea of all the intense and wild critter life around here. She is living right outside our front door, and I am not sure if I should move her or not. (Am actually unsure of sex of spider, just calling it ‘her’, as it feels right somehow. It must be those pretty spikes!). Thanks for any help! I am actually kind of hoping she is safe to humans, as I like being able to walk out the door to go to work and see how her web is coming along. I have never actually seen her move, but everyday her web is a little bigger. I only assume it is her web and that she is alive, because she is sitting right in the middle of it, but maybe not?? The spider is small, able to sit on a dime. I have nicknamed her Spider Of Satan because of the extreme look! She looks rather hard core, but I wonder if, like many of the human types that look hard core, it may just an act and the spider is really Spider of Sweetness. Boy, considering her close proximity to the house and the large whole in the window screen right behind her, I hope so! If possible, could you let me know what this is? Thank you, I really appreciate any help you can offer!!
Laura Kroupa
Miami Florida

Hi Laura,
What a colorful letter. Your female Crablike Spiny Orb Weaver, Gasteracantha cancriformis, is harmless.

Location: Florida