a Mexican caterpillar
Hello from England.
This caterpillar was walking along the pavement outside Chapultepec park in Mexico City on 16th July 2006. Maybe it was looking for somewhere to pupate. It was about as big as my thumb (21⁄2 inches) and reminded me of the elephant hawkmoth caterpillar that we get in the UK. It had false eyes and raised the front of its body in an attempt to look fierce. Can you help?
Best Wishes
Phil Pemberton

Hi Phil,
This is a Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillar, and judging by the orange color, we agree it is getting ready to pupate. The caterpillars are green for most of their life, often turning orange or brown just before metamorphosis.

2 Responses to Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillar

1. ASF Mexico says:

Hi!

I just wanted to thank you for posting this information! My students and I just found this caterpillar at recess in Mexico City, and we went on an info hunt to find out what it was! We live very close to Chapultepec Park, and your picture and behavior descriptions really helped us be sure we knew what we found!

Best,
    Miss Ellie’s 4G Class!