???
We found this one morning on our porch in Mt. Pleasant, SC. What IS this thing? I’ve browsed your site fairly thoroughly, and still haven’t a clue. Our cat was trying to play with it, but I think it possible it might have eaten her instead.
M.D.

Dear M.D.
Some letters we receive are full of praise at how easy our site is to navigate, and others, like yours, claim difficulty identifying creatures that we specifically target for easy location. On the top of our homepage is a paragraph (which requires reading) that mentions several creatures that are common query subjects and contains links to those pages. One is the Giant Water Bug or Toe-Biter, the subject of your photograph. Additionally, certain creatures always have a presence on our homepage, and once again, the Toe-Biter is one of them. Scrolling down the homepage will reveal a photograph that was submitted several weeks ago.