What’s this guy’s story?
Found this tiny insect (half the diameter of a pencil eraser) on my kitchen counter. The only reason I even saw him was his poor choice of hiding places–on top of a red pizza menu. I thought it was a spider, but can only count 6 legs in my photos. He was a slow mover. Back legs were nearly twice as long as the others. His most distinctive feature is clearly the flaky skin. Perhaps he was just sticky and picked up some crumbs. At the magnification of this shot, he appears to be breaded and deep fried. Can you ID him and provide any insight into his tasty looking, tempura-like coating? Thanks,
Jeff C.

Hi Jeff,
We love your deep fried description of a Masked Bedbug Hunter, one of the Assassin Bugs. This is a nymph, and when this species is immature, it is sticky and gets covered with “lint” which acts as protection. They will feed on Bed Bugs which are reaching epidemic proportions recently.