bug sucking juices out of larva?
Hi again! I came across this bug who had caught a caterpillar on a tree in our yard here in the Ottawa, ON. area. He had his mouthpiece stuck into the side of the caterpillar’s head. I searched for bugs with piercing mouthpieces and the closest I could come to was maybe an anchor stink bug. Apparently they hunt larva and use their mouthpiece to suck the juices out of them. I don’t know what type of caterpillar it is, but the tree they’re on has a bit of a leaf-roller problem. I’ve unrolled a couple of the leaves and found a dark brown type of larva, but this is the first time I’ve seen a caterpillar like this. Couldn’t help but feel sorry for the little guy…what a way to go. Take care!
Sharon
Hammond, ON

Hi again Sharon,
This is an immature Two Spotted Stink Bug, Perillus bioculatus, one of the predatory stink bugs that are very important for caterpillar control.