Giant Redheaded Centipede
A few weekends ago my husband and I were sitting on our couch in our apartment in Austin, TX when this brightly-colored lad (or lass) nonchalantly sauntered past my foot and went under the coffee table. I didn’t scream, but I must have had a look of terror in my eyes as I got up and backed away because my husband high-tailed it off the couch, too, and he hadn’t even seen it! We herded the beast out the front door, then my husband sort-of picked it up with a paper towel and deposited it as far away from our apartment as he could before it started wriggling out of his grasp. Unfortunately, in the process we accidentally divested it of one of its enlarged back legs (that look like stingers) – we found it under the coffee table later – but I’m guessing he/she/it will be fine nevertheless. We didn’t get a chance to measure it, but I would say it was approximately 7 inches long. We identified it from another website as a giant redheaded centipede, Class: Chilopoda, Order: Scolopendromorpha, Family: Scolopendridae, Genus and species: Scolopendra heros (Girard). Feel free to use this picture and/or e-mail if you would like to. Thanks for having such an interesting and informative website!
Sincerely,
Erica Sweeney

Hi Erica,
Your photo is awesome and we are glad to post it. About all we can add is the Giant Redheaded Centipede will probably regenerate its lost appendage, at least partially.