+*+*+THANK YOU+*+*+
Hi there~
My two year old & I found this little guy on the driveway yesterday – she named him ‘Togan’ and has been pretty insistent that he is her “friend” – even slept with him last night (safely in a bug-box of course) 😉 . She is sure that if he just makes a nice ‘crystal bed’ (chrysalis) he’ll be a beautiful butterfly someday…. I wondered if you might be able to help us identify him so that we can get him the proper host plant… Ella discovered a swallowtail caterpillar on her 2nd birthday & saw it through to release it as a butterfly, so she is really quite intrigued by this life cycle… Any info. you could offer would be wonderful. Thanks so much~
becky (& ella too!)
We are from Wisconsin

Hi Becky and Ella,
Most Pandora Sphinx Caterpillars, Eumorpha pandorus, we see are brown, but according to Bill Oehlke’s awesome website, they also come in a green form. Primary foods are grape and Virginia creeper, though if Togan left the host plant, chances are good it is getting ready to pupate. The adult is a moth, not a butterfly.