Fly I.D.
Hello Bugman
Just curious as to what kind of fly this is. I took this picture in the springtime in southern New Jersey. The fly was probably a half inch long and sitting on some small flowers. I included the flowers when I cropped the picture in case it helps with the identification. Thanks!
John Kratz

Hi John,
This looks like a Tachinid Fly to us, probably in the genus Archytas according to images on BugGuide. Immature flies, the maggots, are intermal parasites on a variety of insects.

4 Responses to Tachinid Fly

1. Liam says:

We just found a tachinid fly today August 10 2013. In Grande prairie Alberta. It’s a rainy day and plus 19. Found him flying around the trees on the side of the house.
    Interesting looking Fly. We didn’t know what it was would like to learn more about it.

2. Koralee says:

I found one too. Fort McMurray, Alberta – August 16, 2013

Never seen one before

3. Kelley says:

Is there something similar found on the Florida coast that may have thorns or stingers? It was black, fuzzy, and had re on its hind side under the black. It was stuck in my foot and left a large hole and swelled across the whole arch and bottom of the foot. Any suggestions?
    Thank you

4. Cesar Crash says:

I believe it’s Cholomyia inaequipes (Tachinidae):
    https://bugguide.net/node/view/1372143/bgpage

ps.: For a long time, I can’t see many images in WTB?, I have to right click and open in another tab. Now it’s the same in another PC.