What’s this bug?
This bug came flying out of the blackness of the night and attacked me. I am not normally afraid of bugs but this thing freaked me out and I flicked it away and it flew into my friends basement. We managed to sneak up on it and take some pictures of it. We have been searching around on the internet to try and figure out what it is but we haven’t found anything very conclusive, the closest resemblance we have found are pictures of Ichneumon but their tails don’t look as mean as this things tail. It’s tail looks more like a scorpion tail and the Ichneumon tails look thinner like antennae or something. It is hard to tell from the pictures but it is about 2-3 inches long including its tail. We live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. If you can look at the attached pics and let us know it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Hi Ryan,
The female American Pelecinid is harmless. She uses her long abdomen to parasitize subterranean June Beetle Grubs by thrusting it into the ground and laying eggs when she locates a grub. These are non-stinging relatives of the wasps.