rosewing hooktip moth
Good evening Mr. Bugman,
I just discovered your site today, and as an inveterate 1. namer, 2. shutterbug (didn’t find that one on your site) and especially 3. macro fiend I was more than delighted! I’ve already ID’d several ‘bugs’ that had been bugging me. Thank you so much. I’ve attached 5 photos – 4 I know, and one I’d like to confirm. I live in Orange County, VIRGINIA – the north central piedmont of the state. All photos have been taken within a 4 mile radius of Orange, VA (county seat). If you don’t object, I’ll send others of insects you don’t appear to have – and maybe a few that I need help with. I just don’t want to overdo it in my enthusiasm for your site. What a great service, and I’ll add that no insects are harmed in the photographic process. They are either in the wild or occasionally found deceased, although no deceased ones in this group. 2. Rosewing hooktip, (Oreta rosea) – beautiful moth, found on the ceiling of my front porch in Orange (May 2005). Taken with a flash, so the colors are a tad exaggerated. Thanks again for the wonderful site!
Best regards,
Lynne
Orange, VA

Hi Lynne,
We are overwhelmed by all the images you sent in and have chosen to post the Rose Hooktip first as this is a new species for our site. In the future, please send only one image or one species per letter. It makes our lives so much easier. Thanks so much for expressing your enthusiasm.

Good morning Daniel, I apologize for loading my first email with photos, and will in future keep to one species/photo per. I’m glad you found some of my snaps useful and that I could contribute a new species for the site. Oh, and since it might be of interest, all of my pictures have been taken using a digital Nikon 880 Coolpix (pre-October 2005) or a digital Nikon 4800 Coolpix. Cheers,
Lynne

Location: Virginia