Homalodisca vitripennis (Glassy-winged sharpshooter)
Hi Lisa Anne and Daniel,
Thank you for the time and enthusiasm you devoted to this wonderful and useful site! Here is a photo of Homalodisca vitripennis (Glassy-winged sharpshooter) I took around mid-July this year at the balcony of my apartment at Pasadena, CA. I ID the bug with the aid of both your site and the BugGuide. On the first day I noticed one nymph on the branch of my black locust, and a day later, found three adults. These bugs, each about 1.5cm long, looked darker when observed directly by eyes.The colors on wings and patterns on the body are displayed more clearly in photos. They were extremely shy and very good at hiding. I had to use my hand to “scare” them away from the other side of the branch to take the shot. The photo is not as beautiful compared to the other amazing pictures on your page, but since there is only one glassy-winged sharpshooter entry on your site, I hope you still find it useful to add to your database. 🙂 Supplementary Info: Based on BugGuide and other related webpages like USDA: ” the Glassy-winged sharpshooters is one of the invasive species in S. California (although native to Southeast US). Being the vector of the plant-infecting bacterium, Xylella fastidiosa, the sharpshooter can transmit Pierce¡|s Disease of grapes and many other “scorch-like” plant diseases, and is therefore considered a serious agricultural pest in SoCal, especially for wine grapes and peach.” thanks again,
Wei-Ting

Thank Wei-Ting,
We welcome the opportunity to post another example of the Glassy Winged Sharpshooter, especially since getting the image required some pre-planned choreography.

Location: Pasadena, California