Strange Fly
What’sThatBug.com:
I recently encountered this large fly on my honeymoon in Alexandria Bay, in the Thousand Islands region of New York. It was sedately sunning on my balcony until I started trying to get close enough to take a macro mode shot. It began lifting it’s mandibles and whip-like in threatening(or inquisitive) ways at me. It was quite a show, and if the display was for purposes of intimidation I would say it suceeded! I should’ve taken a quick movie clip of it, but these pics will have to suffice…. So, what’s that bug?
-Ben H.
P.S…. And, no, I didn’t kill it! Though if it were inside I probably would have. Just to prove I wasn’t scared.

Hi Ben,
Mayflies in the order Ephemeroptera, are totally harmless. Adults do not even possess mouthparts as they only live a few days and their sole purpose is to mate, (except to provide food to other creatures including trout).