Golden Bee on Don Juan Rose
This bee seemed to be coming out of a pupae ? state since it couldn’t fly at the time these pictures were taken. I live in Tucson, AZ. and I also have a nest of giant Carpenter Bees in my back yard. Although they are black and do not appear to have a stinger. Could this be a youngster or a Queen? Thought you might like to see the pictures. I know you guys are busy! This was just a curiosity not an emergency. Sincerely,
Steve Dennett

Hi Steve,
The Valley Carpenter Bee, Xylocopa varipunctata, is sexually dimorphic. The female is the large black bee you mention, and the male is the lovely golden bee in your photo. These bees are found in California, Arizona and Baja California Mexico.

2 Responses to Male Valley Carpenter Bee

1. Andrea Chivers says:

I live on a now very busy corner in Arlington, VA. I have an unintenyional 4’x8′ and spreading spearmint patch.

This my first attempt to find out what wasp-looking, but not aggressive, bug that has a somewhat iridescent blue sheen over its thorax and wings, two yellow dots on its upper abdomen, and a definite red butt. It’s red over about .4 of is abdomen. Could it be a fly? The biggest ones are 1″ mandible to wherever they might sting me with. There seem to be more of them all over the spearmint every year, and some are smaller, They seem very calm for Hymenopterans

2. slit says:

Hi!
    I sent you a few images in the end of January 2017. You gave a Genus (?) name on one of the moths (Giant silk moth (Saturniidae sp.).I don´t know how to find the image on your home page. I have now been able to get species name for that moth Via (Dr Phd) David Thomas England, from Prof. Dr Ahmet Ömer Koçak & Asst. Prof. Dr Muhabbet Kemal (Centre for Entomological Studies, Ankara, Turkey), both experts on moths and hawkmoths in central China. I have also received names for two more of my moths/hawkmoths.
    If you would like me to send them to you, please let me have your e-mail-address again. It has disappeared since out latest contact.
    Cheers
    Stefan Lithner (slit)