this bug… what is it??
Hi, I found this bug outside and it was dead when I found it. It was just so strange I put it in a container and too pics of it. I can’t seem to find anything like it on the internet. I put some pictures of it in the email, but here’s the facts you might not be able to tell by the pics. It has small eyes, 6 legs that are NOT bent back like a grasshopper… They’re all down and pretty short. It has a wierd pincher thing on it’s butt… I don’t know if that’s for mating or what. It has hard tusk like things coming off it’s face. I’m not sure if they’re antenna but then it has another set of antenna on its head. It has I THINK 2 sets of wings. I could only see 2 wings, but my cousin picked up the bug and said he thought there was another set of wings under the ones we can see. If you can help me PLEASE tell me what this thing is. If you’re not the one that can ID it, please pass it on to who can. Thank you very much,
Andrea

Hi Andrea,
It is so daring of you to serve up this male Dobsonfly for Dinner before you even knew what it was and if it was edible. We already have the larval form, known as Hellgrammites, on our edible insect page, and now we will add your toothsome specimen to that page as well.