Outreach on Pests
Hi Bugman,
My name is Virginia Lopez ,Entomologist with California Department of Food and Agriculture(Pest Detection). I wanted to make you aware of a pest we intercepted in landscape material in San Diego, Long Beach and Orange. We are in eradication mode to rid the State of this invader. If you could inform your vast Los Angeles readers of the pest that would contribute greatly to it staying localized and facilitate eradication. Should you have pest pic emailed to you please have the California resident contact us. EARLY DETECTION IS THE KEY TO ERADICATION Attached is postcard mailed out to residences in and around the impacted cities. “The Diaprepes Root Weevil, Diaprepes abbreviatus, is a large, colorful insect native to the Caribbean. This weevil was accidentally introduced into Florida in the 1960s and caused extensive damage. It has been intercepted in shipments of plants to California. this weevil feeds on about 270 different plants including citrus, hibiscus, avocado, peach, guava, loquat, holly and oak. This pest is a significant threat to both urban and agricultural trees and plants. Adult weevils feed on the leaves of plants and their larvae move under-ground to feed on plant rooots. If you see the adult weevils or damage to plants that looks like the photos above, please contact the California Department of Food and Agruculture’s Exotic Pest Hotline at 1-800-491-1899.” To find out more on invading pests we are detection,, I have attached our website.
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/
Thank you Bugman for any help you can provide for us.
Virginia Lopez
California Department of Food & Agriculture
Pest Detection/Emergency Projects
562 928-4562

Hi Virginia,
Thanks for the warning. We will keep your letter at the top of our homepage and we have reproduced some of the content from the postcard as well.