Serious mandibles
hello bugman.
I sent you some photos the other day but you must be busy cause I havent seen them. They were mostly just pretty pics. I have a question about this critter. He is about 3-4 inches long and has these great big jaws. Quite placid when he is still but if you touch his back, he spins around ready to attack. Is like a off brown with light brown mottled color markings. Quite agressive. We are in the desert in Sudan and have plenty blister beetles, and awesome moths, one I ID from your site being the white lined sphinx. Thank you! Thanks for a very interesting site!
Marc B. Potgieter
Khor Abeche
Southern Darfur
Sudan

Hi Marc,
Our mail volume is so heavy right now, we could not answer every letter if we spent 24 hours a day on the site. We choose letters at random. This is some species of Prionid Borer. It resembles the North American Derobrachus species. The heavy mandibles are necessary as the large grubs are wood borers, often in roots. The adult needs to chew its way to the surface through the wood after it emerges from the pupa.