large moth
Hello
This was found on our window this morning in St Charles Missouri. Can anyone help me identify this moth its about 3" long ?
Thanks John

Hi John,
We first identified this as a Northern Apple Sphinx, Sphinx poecila, but a kind reader set us straight.

(07/31/2006) Hello to everyone at Whats That Bug,
First, I would like to commend you on your great website. I visit your site often, and I enjoy reading all the letters you receive. I also have my co-workers and friends checking out your website. Keep up the good work. Now, you received a letter titled “Northern Apple Sphinx” (07/30/2006) large moth in St Charles Missouri from John. The moth was identified as Northern Apple Sphinx but the moth in the photo is actually the Five Spotted Hawk moth (Manduca quinquemaculata) the adult of the Tomato Hornworm. I hope this information is helpful. Again, keep up the good work. Sincerely,
Norman Myszkowski from Baltimore, MD.