bees or wasps
Hi:
I found these bees (or are they wasps?) on a tree root in our yard in central North Carolina. It looks like they’re burrowing into the wood, but they don’t look like carpenter bees to me. I have seen up to 4 at a time with their heads partly in the root. I also think I can see one inside the burrow. Any ideas?

Giant Hornets, Vespa crabro germana, were introduced to this country in the mid 1800s. They are gathering wood pulp for their large paper nest.

Location: North Carolina

3 Responses to Giant Hornets

1. Margi says:

I find these exact wasps on my bedroom floor!!! Three times in the last month! they come in and die or are about to die. Why is this?

We don’t know why Giant Hornets are entering your home. Perhaps they hibernated and could not find a way out.

2. Ann says:

I read they can get inside your homes interior walls and if a queen is present, a nest is built and away they go. Can be very dangerous. Come out at night looking for food so they don’t have to complete with others still in the hive (usually in a tree, but almost always a test). I was shocked when I first saw the size of one two weeks ago in my Maryland backyard.