Butterfly-Dragonfly Hybrid? Is it possible? What is this?
Here’s one for ya….This morning I went outside and found the most interesting creature. At first I thought it was a dragonfly, because of four transparent wings-shaped like a dragonfly and buzz quickly like a dragonfly. But the insect has antenae like a butterfly. The legs are short like a dragonfly. The abdomen is narrow. I have never seen any thing like it! Could this be some crazy hybrid? Who can I contact? If anyone knows, let me know!!! I picked it up and put it in a jar with a tuille on top so it can breathe. It does not have any dust stuff on it like a butterfly and it did not hurt it. I need answers quick. Let me know…. Sorry my pictures are not that good. He looks much cooler in person…
Thanks~
Sherry

Hi Sherry,
Even with your blurry photos, we can tell this is an Owlfly, one of the Neuropterans in the family Ascalaphidae.