pictures for id
Here is a bunch of pictures of the same caterpillar I found on a path near Snow on the mountain and woodbine. Is it a pandora sphinx caterpillar? Should I let it live?
Tara

Tara,
Why do you want to kill the Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar? Was the path in your garden or a public park? Most public parks have laws about destroying wildlife. Your letter has filled us with anxiety.

I put it back near the woodbine and saw it about 1/2 hour later on a different part of the path going in the opposite direction toward my backyard. This was early this morning, haven’t seen it since but I am pretty sure it is alive and well. It absolutely freaked me out and made me feel a bit nauseated but be calm and sleep well…it didn’t meet it’s maker at my hands. My woodbine needs trimming back anyway. Unfortunately it didn’t stay there. It seemed either headed to the apple tree or my primrose and columbines. Does it like hostas? If it does like hostas, it’s destiny, if I ever seen it again, may change. Thanks for identifying it.
Tara

Hi again Tara,
We beg you to reconsider. We just posted a photo of a beautiful adult moth and they help pollinate your garden.

Thanks for your humor, I am just teasing, it won’t die by my hands and I warned my neighbor not to squash it. The adult moth is neat looking. I looked it up and found some data from ND about being beneficial. I’m in Rapid City, SD, lived here 8 years and never seen anything like it on the woodbine before. What’s the art project? Are you collecting the photos or just weird human responses? I enjoyed the unnecessary carnage link.
Tara

The art project deals with interaction (much like this exchange) and about global community. The world wide web brings people together, and we don’t just mean online dating, in ways that were never possible before.