New species of a water bug?
Hey bug guys,
Here on vacation in Minnesota, we spend plenty of time in lake Kabekona, the lake we’re staying at. However, picking up and moving rocks today, this little bugger somehow found his way to my finger, just kind of hung on but wasn’t really holding on too tightly to me. He acted like a fish out of water on my finger, didn’t move or do anything, I thought I accidentally killed it trying to find a frisbee to put water in so it would be happy. After putting it back in some water, it perked up and swam around using it’s 6 legs and 3 tails, awkward looking little guy.. I was hoping you guys could tell us if this is maybe a parasite or just another weird bug, he was very small only about a quarter of an inch, perhaps a little less. Thanks for your time, hope to hear back from you soon!
Cheers,
Becky Studley

Hi Becky,
This is an immature Mayfly, known as a Naiad. Mayflies belong to the order Ephemeroptera. Adults do not feed and only live a few days. Naiads feed on algae and microscopic organic debris.