cicada emerging
Location: Wompatuck State Park, Hingham, MA. 6/30/06 My 3 year old spied this critter in its hole made on the rocky trail. At the time I had no idea of what it was so extracting it from its burrow was out of the question. I’ve since learned that it is a cicada emerging from the ground. Thought a photo or 2 might be worthy of your cicada page.
Jeanine, Gabe 5, Jake 3

Hi Jeanine, Gabe and Jake,
This is the second report we have received (OK, yours was the first but we answered them out of order) of Periodical Cicadas emerging. The odd thing for us is that 2006 is not a year for a scheduled Brood or either the 13 or 17 year Cicada. Dare we blame global warming?

At the rate we’re going, cicadas & cockroaches may be the only ones around! A local cicada hunter ( I don’t think he’s a professional, just an enthusiast) will be searching the area we located the bug in with hopes of finding others this weekend. I now look forward to retracing our steps this time of year over the next 2 years to see how many we find. Your website is phenominal by the way. Thank you. You are definitely my # 1 stop for my many future IDs.
Jeanine

Clarification From Eric Eaton: “Sometimes, there are a few stragglers among the periodical cicadas that emerge a year later than the rest. Sometimes they emerge a year or so early, too. There should not be very many that are doing that, and this is pretty late in ANY year for them to be emerging. You should consult Dr. Gene Kritsky at the College of Mt. St. Joseph in Cincinnati. He is an authority on the emergence patterns of periodical cicadas. You can tell him I sent you:-) Eric”

Location: Hingham, Massachusetts