Whats this bug?Angel Bug?
Hello, I live in West Virginia and often see these things flloating around and have finally gotten a few pics of one that allowed me to veiw it for a couple minutes. I have talked to a few older people and they said that they always called them Angel Bugs, so i was just wanting more info on this beautiful but sometimes illusive and difficult to photo bug. I tryed looking through your wonderful site but i just didnt know where to begin. Thanks for any info you could provide!
Jed

Hi Jed,
We tried unsucessfully to locate photos of adult Wooly Aphids online. Eric Eaton has substantiated that this is a winged Wooly Aphid.

Wooly Aphids
(06/26/2006) "Angelflies"
Dear What’s That Bug,
Thanks a bunch! For the past three days, I’ve been obsessing– even losing sleep– over a mystery insect that seems to have flourished this year. I’ve known about them for the majority of my life, but always by the name angelflies. Being a zoologically obsessed fifteen year-old, I realized though I knew their name, I knew nothing else. I quickly asked my lover, Google, more. Absolutely nothing useful popped up for the entry "Angelfly". This puzzled me. Why has Google failed me? So, then I asked my mistress, Jeeves (Jeeves can be a mistress if I want him to be). He also could come up with nothing. I then went to Wikipedia… again. Nothing. So, now angry at the world I viciously attacked the line of "X"s on the top, right hand corner of my screen and stomped off to bed. I then sulked around the house all day, quite distraught on the lack of knowledge I had on such a seemingly basic creature. Today, we went on a walk. As we walked I saw one flit by, as if the wind was the choice medium of steering. I gently cupped my hands around it and then tormented the simple minded creature for the sake of observation. I noticed that the white-furred little pixie had four wings… evidently not really a fly. As I paid more attention to everything under the fur, I saw that it had dark, blue-gray skin. Sort of like ash. But what startled me the most was that it looked a lot like an aphid. Bingo! As soon as I got back home, I pounced on your site and searched under the only section I seemed to miss on my hunt amongst your site… the aphids. The entry that caught my eye was that of the wooly aphids, sent by Ryan. I then went back to Google and did an image search and got a very spiffy photo of a "Wooly Apple Aphid". An exact match to what has plagued my dreams for so long! Well… three days… but let’s not split hairs. So, again, thanks for your help in clearing my thoughts! These are truly beautiful little bugs… with maybe not quite as delicate of a name as I’m accustomed to (leave it to West Virginian’s to screw up a perfectly good Google search query!).
Thanks a bunch,
Justin Caruthers

Hi Justin,
What a fabulous letter. Sadly, as it is without an image, we have placed it on our Fanmail 2 page. We hope you are planning to go to college as a wit like yours would be wasted in a factory or Walmart. Let us know if you ever need a letter of recommendation.

One Response to Wooly Aphid, AKA Angelfly

1. juggalette says:

Hi my name is Christa Bell I live in Oneonta, NY & I too have seen these illusive bugs. I was wondering what they were when I knew about them but I wasnt sure. I saw them once then went to check the day after I 1st saw them in the area on my property that I saw them, but they werent there this time. Why werent they there the next day?