Large Bug In My Kitchen
I found this bug in my kitchen tonight and I was hoping you could help me figure out what it is and give me some information about it. I have never seen a bug like this before around here. I live in Buena Vista, Colorado. It is rather large. As you can see in the pictures, it is larger than the size of a quarter. It is about 1 1⁄4 inches long and the antennae are about another inch. The pictures don’t show it very well, but the antennae and legs are very barbed (10 barbs on each antenna, 4 barbs on the front and middle legs, and 3 barbs on the back legs). Each of the legs ends with a double hook. My puppy thought this was a new toy for him which caught my attention. The bug was making a strange clicking type noise. Not only when on its back but when it was walking around as well. It is entirely black looking at it from the top. Its belly is kind of a pale yellowish color. It almost appears bee-like because its shell seems to grow in an overlapping stripe-like pattern. When my husband tried to pick it up to take it outside, its back split into wings and tried to fly away. The mouth area looks like it has small but sharp mandibles and four little finger-type things hanging down. As it was walking around, it was dragging these four fingers on the ground. I don’t know a whole lot about bugs and I hope the information I have given you is helpful. If you have questions or would like more information, please let me know and I will do my best to provide some answers. Thank you for your time,
Stephanie Bailey

Hi Stephanie,
This is one of the Prionid Beetles. There are several species of Prionus listed in Colorado, but we are unsure which species you have. We will see if Eric Eaton can give us a species name when he returns. They are root and stump borers in the larval stages.