Centipede?
I am from Oklahoma and I have attached a picture of a bug that I found in my bathroom this morning. Not a nice thing to wake up to. I’m assuming it is a centipede. Are they poisonous? It’s body is black and legs an orange/yellow and its head is a dark orange. Its back pinchers are black with orange tips. It is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I’m guessing it is about 4 inches long (I’m not going to get too close.) Please let me know about this thing.
Katrina Wilson

Hi Katrina,
Centipedes are poisonous, and they will bite. The bite is painful, but not dangerous. Some tropical species have more potent venom. We have read that the Oklahoma Centipedes grow to 8 inches. Your Centipede is in the Order Scolopendromorpha, but we do not know the species.

5 Responses to Centipede

1. Mike says:

I know this post is several years ok’d, but I just saw it and that looks like Scolopendra heros to me, though I am no expert

2. Stephanie Ward says:

I have found several of these around my hose are they the same younger version or something different? It’s only 2-3 inches long and the but spicks things vary from yellowish to black
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/g0VMihhISSTZWCWC3