Mothra.
Hey. Well first I’d like to explain the story behind this one,My friends and myself were sitting in my room talking about "how too many bugs come indoors in the summer"..The windows are all open and the lights are all on..And suddenly something flies through my widnow about the size of a small bat or bird. It took us about half an horu to get the courage to capture it and I took photos out of fascination at it’s size. I’ve seen thousands of moths but this is the single biggest I have ever seen in my life [I blame global warming] I didn’t think we got insects this big in England. The second thing I want to ask about is this stange beetle creature that entered my room via the window a couple of nights prior to the moth. It is also huge by English standards and was covered in little brownish insects crawling allover it [I assumed they were it’s offspring]. [Pictures also attacted] I’d appreciate it if you could tell me what they both were and tell me a little about whether or not they should be in England that size. Both insects were captured in standard english pint glasses [the moth could hardly get in] with openings of 3.5 inches in diameter. Thankyou in advance.
Joe.

Hi Joe,
The Poplar Hawk Moth, Laothoe populi (Linnaeus, 1758) was described by Linnaeus in 1758 and is a resident of England. The beetle photo did not arrive but it sounds like a Burying Beetle with hitchhiking mites attached.