giant moths 5/25/06
I discovered these moths mating this morning on my deck. I live in north eastern Washington (Deer Park). They are very large as that is a 4X4 post they are on. I would say at least 5 1/2 to 6 inch wing span. They were very beautiful, and strikingly large!! Like WOW!! So, What are they? Here’s some pixs. The antennae were beautifully delicate. Notice how the tip of the right wing looks like the eye and nose of a snake or lizard!! These moths were in great shape and gone when I came home from work. I guess it was just a one night stand. Thanks for looking.
Rob.

Hi Rob,
Your moths are Ceanothus Silkmoths, Hyalophora euryalus, and they could well have had a one night stand. They can be distinguished from the Columbia Silk Moths, according to Bugguide, because the “discal spot on hindwing shaped like an elongated comma pointing toward outer margin …”. Adults do not eat, they live to mate. The female will lay eggs and die and her mate will probably die sooner.