Looking for help with this one. Love the site!
I’ve tried to find a spider like this one (attached) on your site but didn’t see anything like it. Felt a tickle on my hand today while laying in my deck chair. Saw this little guy and had to take a snap shot. He moved very fast so it was hard to grab a good pic. Any ideas? Jumping Spider? These pictures were taken in Victoria British Columbia on Vancouver Island.
Best Regards,
Ryan Leinweber

Hi Ryan,
This is a Red Jumping Spider in the genus Phidippus, possibly Phidippus formusus. In Eric Eaton’s opinion: “The male jumping spider is probably a different species, probably Phidippus clarus, or P. johnsoni.”

5 Responses to Red Jumping Spider

1. mowgli says:

Hey I found this too here in Surrey BC… I found it as “Johnson Jumper,” but I think that is just an alternate name for “Red Jumping Spider.” My photo is here:

http://bit.ly/cVa6AQ

2. k.strickland says:

i have a spider similar,or same not sure about fussy but very black and very red. super fast. there are three in very close together that I have seen all out at once.
    but I would say it is at least 1/3 inch to 1/2 inch which i think is large for the island..

.is it toxic, the bit to me?

or harmless to humans if i get bitten? I am allergic to and skin near a bit gets infected by such as mosquitos and wasps ..bea do not sting me I can hold and play with them..

KLS

We cannot speak about individual sensitivities. That is the job of a doctor. A bite from a Jumping Spider would not be a serious danger to the average person.

3. sarah says:

I WISH TO KNOW THE CIENTIFIC NAME OF THE SPIDER AND TO KNOW IS POISON OR NOT. ? thanks so much I HAVE A LOT IN MAY YARDS.

As the posting indicates, we believe this is Phidippus formusus. Jumping Spiders have venom, but they are not considered dangerous to humans.