Do you know what kind of wasp or hornet this is? I live in Maryland and the photo with the ruler isn’t too accurate. I made a better measurement and it was 1.75 inches and the second one I got was just about 2 inches long. I have never seen these where I live up until this spring. I have seen a total of 3 of them but cannot find a nest or anything directing me to where they may be coming from. Please help. Are they aggressive? Thank you.
Arron Deans

Hi Arron,
The Giant Hornet, Vespa crabro germana, was introduced to America from Europe in the 19th Century. The paper nest is usually hidden in a hollow tree or in a building. They are not aggressive, but will defend their nest. According to the Audubon Guide: “It defends its nest from intruders, but otherwise avoids confrontations when possible.”

2 Responses to Giant Hornet

1. ashley says:

Hi!

Do these bees bore through wood? We have found a giant nest of bees that look like this that have chewed through our shed roof! Thank you for the help!