Alfred Kinsey’s Birthday (06/23/2006) Mating Damselflies
I’m sending you a shot of some damselflies who decided to mate on top of my camera the other day. I managed to get them in my hand so I could take some shots of them. I still can’t believe how lucky I was to have them land right on my camera while I was trying to take a picture of another damselfly. I’m not sure what kind they are. maybe black winged damselflies, or ebony jewelwings? We were down by a lake which had a small stream that drained into it. I noticed these critters all through the woods on our way to the lake (mostly by the stream).
Have a great day,
Yvonne
Barrie, Ontario

Hi Yvonne,
We can’t think of a better photo to post on our site today in honor of the birth of Alfred Kinsey, the entomologist who studied Gall Wasps and Human Sexuality, than your lovely photo of mating Broad Winged Damselflies. We believe they are Ebony Jewelwings.