Is this a scorpion?
I live in central Thailand, and I just killed this thing in my bathroom last night. Is this a real scorpion? A friend just refered me to your site, and I think it might be a tailless whipscorpion. The body of this one was about 2-3 inches long, but we killed a little one a couple weeks ago that was probably only a centimeter long.
Kristen

Hi Kristen,
This is not a Tailless Whipscorpion, since it has a tail. It is a Whipscorpion in the order Uropygi. They have a long whiplike tail instead of a stinger. They have no venom so are not harmful to people. We have a single species in the U.S. that is known as a Vinegarone. Most species in this order can secrete acetic acid, the mild acid found in vinegar, and this lead to the common name. Since they ravenously eat cockroaches and other insects, they are beneficial, and your killing spree amounts to Unnecessary Carnage.