Unidentified armored insect.
I just spent half an hour or so looking over your site. It is really a great resouce. Most of the time I put the univerity level entomology courses to work and identifiy my own finds, but since my primary goal is to get a good photo rather than collect, kill and key out these days I was unable to (excuse the expression) pin this one down. This well armored and prickley insect was found in the folds of a Canada Thistle. Just as a guess I would guess some sort of hemipteran – but I defer to your expertise on this one. The location is Grand Island, New York – an island in the middle of the Niagara River. If interested, other fauna and flora photos from the island may be viewed at: http://www.isledegrande.com/naturepage04-v2.htm
Your time in looking at this one and replying is most appreciated. If you can use the image on your site, please feel free to.
Regards,
Nathan Cook

Hi Nathan,
Before we even venture a guess, we want to contact our favorite expert, Eric Eaton. Meanwhile we will post your image and see if we get any other responses. Eric Eaton responded with this information: ” Looks like that spiny thing is the pupa of a tortoise beetle. The larvae look very similar, but carry an umbrella of dried feces on those forked tail-like appendages. Eric”

Location: New York