Grasshopper
I don’t know whether you can identify Australian species of bugs. Other people have told me it could be a grasshopper, a cricket or a locust. It was photographed in the south west corner of Australia and he was about 2 inches long, with very long horns; possibly about 6 inches long.
Thank you
Eve Parry

Hi Eve,
Our web search turned up no matches for this interesting insect. This is definitely an Orthopteran, the Insect Order that contains grasshoppers and crickets. The length of the antennae suggests a member of the Family Tettigoniidae, the Long-Horned Grasshoppers and Katydids, but the head most resembles the True Crickets in the Family Gryllidae. We will try to get an opinion from Eric Eaton. We actually did a bit more searching and came up with a very close match in the Family Gryllacrididae, Striped Raspy Cricket. The markings seem slightly off, but otherwise a good match. They are known as Tree Crickets. Our search lead us to a second site with several Australian species but only two images, neither of which is an exact match.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and your the work you did to try to find an answer for me. On googling Striped Raspy Cricket and seeing a photo, I tend to agree with you. I’ve been advised to send the picture to the West Australian Museum, so they may be able to confirm that. Thank you once again
Eve Parry.

This is the reply I got back from the West Australian Museum. I have left your email on the bottom to help jog your memory. It’s about the identification of and Australian cricket.Eve
“Hi EveYour cricket is a tree cricket, family Gryllacrididae, a close relative of the true crickets. These insects are relatively common, and are generally active at night, on the ground or on bushes. During the day they are usually hiding in a burrow or in some other enclosed space. Most of the species are pale brown, some are wingless even as adults. The females have an ovipositor, a long sword-like process on the end of the abdomen, that is used to inject eggs into the soil. They feed on vegetation, such as grass, or possibly other insects. Their jaws are powerful enough to leave a mark if you put your finger too close to them!Our collection of these insects is not yet properly sorted to species, so I cannot give you any specific name – sorry…Cheers
Brian”

Location: Australia