According to Eric Eaton “Well, the mulch from Louisiana thing is a bunch of hogwash. Total urban myth, not an issue. I have this straight from Ag officials. No worries.”
Warning:

DO NOT BUY MULCH FROM LOUISIANA- from Environmental Dep at FAU- Valeria Volin- saturated in formosan termites!
I WITNESSED THIS A FEW DAYS BEFORE VALERIA SENT ME THIS- I WAS DIGGIN AROUND IN SOME MULCH WITH MY KIDS AT A PLAYGROUND AND THERE MUST HAVE BEEN ABOUT A MILLION TERMITES ABOUT AN IN DEEP!
Love Michele
FROM VALERIA VOLIN
For those gardeners among us: If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch this year. After the hurricane in New Orleans many trees were blown over. These trees were then turned into mulch and the state is trying to get rid of tons and tons of this mulch to any state or company who will come and haul it away. So it will be showing up in Home Depot and Lowes at dirt cheap prices with one huge problem; Formosan Termites will be the bonus in many of those bags. New Orleans is one of the few areas in the country were the Formosan Termites has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees blown down were already badly infested with those termites. Now we may have the worst case of transporting a problem to all parts of the country that we have ever had. These termites can eat a house in no time at all and we have no good control against them, so tell your friends that own homes to avoid cheap mulch and know were it came from.