what’s this?
Hi bugman. I love the pictures on your site. Keep up the great work. Well, here is my addition for your site. I live in Atlanta, GA area and found this guy walking around a spider web like he owned it. However, it does not appear to be a spider. From one of the pics I’m sending you, it looks as if it has long fangs or something resembling fangs. I’m not sure, but I think I saw one of these last year that had killed a spider and sucked it’s juices out. The length of it’s body (without it’s legs) is roughly 3/4 of an inch long. I didn’t see it in your spider sections, but then again, I’m not sure if it is a spider. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Rick

Hi Rick,
This is an immature Assassin Bug. Adults will grow wings. They are predators with sucking mouth parts, and if handled carelessly, they will give you a painful bite. Eric Eaton added that this specimen is in the genus Zelus.

One Response to Immature Assassin Bug

1. drswanny says:

This is a Zelus nymph. More common is Z. luridus but this looks a little odd, and it could be Z. cervicalis. Probably NOT Z. tetracanthus.