Butterfly identification
Having seen your web site mentioned on the BBC’s technology show Click (www.bbc.co.uk/click), I though I’d drop you an email to see if you can help me with this picture that my wife took of a butterfly in Japan. I’ve tried comparing it against images of other Japanese butterflies but I’ve failed to match it. I hope you can help.
Philip

Hi Philip,
As our readership becomes more global, we are under constant pressure to correctly identify many specimen from exotic locations. In your case, the best we can do is a family. Your butterfly is in the Brushfooted Butterfly family Nymphalidae. It seems to resemble one of the Fritillaries, but that is a guess. Even though we located a site devoted to Japanese butterflies, we could not find your specimen.

Update:  Identified as Indian Fritillary in a comment
March 26, 2011
We just received a comment identifying this as a female
Argynnis hyperbius, commonly called the Indian Fritillary.  We found a photo illustrating the sexual dimorphism in a mounted pair on World FieldGuide Website.

Location: Japan

6 Responses to Japanese Brushfooted Butterfly is Indian Fritillary

1. MichaelH says:

This is a female Argynnis hyperbius, the website you listed only shows images of males which lack the black and white marking on the forewing tips

Thanks so much for supplying this identification. This is a very old posting and we rarely go back through our archives to try to identify old submissions. We will find some links for our main posting.

2. Chris says:

Looks like the correct spelling is Argyreus hyperbius. Thanks for the ID tip!

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9886252