Bug with lots of legs
We found this on the wall of our apartment. It moved quite fast. I’ve never seen anything with this many legs, apart from centipedes and millipedes, and am really curious to know what this is!
Best regards,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
This is a House Centipede and it is harmless. It is the subject of numerous letters to our site and we are happy to have a new image for our homepage.

6 Responses to House Centipede

1. Eddie says:

My mother found and killed a strange insect that had a completely circular body and at least 12-20 legs. From leg to leg it was about 5 1/2″ in diameter. She drew a sketch of it and took it to our local museum and they had no clue as to what it could’ve been. Does anyone have any ideas?

Is your mother in Botswana or in Chicago? Wildlife in Botswana is very different from wildlife in Chicago.
      Please send any images you would like identified using the Ask WTB? link on our site.

2. Winston Doss says:

For last two years during i have been invaded by centimetres .why?and how too get rid of them,I’ve used ortho home defence they just keep coming back.Help!!

3. Laura says:

I read that centipedes, while relatively harmless, feed on other bugs so if you are seeing a lot of them, it may be because they have a large food source which might mean other pests