Caterpillar Identification
Hello
Well I found 3 of these babies happily munching away in my garden this morning! They are about 10cm long, as fat as my thumb and have a little yellow tail. I’d like to know what they are, if they’re particularly common and also how long I will have to wait before they stop demolishing my plants!
With thanks
Nikki

Hi Nikki,
We would love to identify your caterpillar, but without global coordinates, we don’t know where to start looking for an exact Sphinx Moth species from the 1000’s of possibilities. The name of the food plant would also help.

Apologies at not mentioning I’m in Bangkok, Thailand…it must have been over excitement at having dinosaur like caterpillars in my garden! I’ve narrowed down the shrub they’re eating to some kind of Gardenia, maybe ‘Cape’. I hope this helps.

We did locate a website of the Hawk Moths of Thailand, but there are no caterpillar photos.

One Response to Mystery Sphinx Caterpillar from Unknown Part of the World!!!! dicovered to be Thailand

1. Hi just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading correctly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried
    it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.