identification
My husband and son found this bug last night in the kitchen and we are wondering if you may be able to identify it for us. We live in Australia (Victoria) and have a feeling that it may be related to the Potato Bug upon looking at a few examples on your website, however nothing matches exactly. My husband used to see heaps of the them when he was young in his home town of Swan Hill, yet hasn’t seen any for ages. He used to call the "cricket moles" because the looked like crickets and they dig in the ground. Isn’t it lovely how children make up their own names for insects. We have attached a photo of our mysterious bug and the measurements are 5cm from the tip of the head to the end of the tail (abdomen) antennae?? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Yours sincerely,
Fiona Gibson.

Hi Fiona,
The simple way that children view the world often translates into etymology, since the common name for this insect is a Mole Cricket, Family Grylloralpidae.

Thank you so much for your response, this bug has created so much interest in our household for the past 24 hours, it has been amazing. My husband and I , our 4 and 1 year old sons loved it, and our 7 year old daughter hated it.We even gave it a special house for the night. After taking a photo of it and sending it to you we put him back in the garden so he could find his mum and dad. Once again, thank you for your response and my husband is stoked that he had the common name of the cricket right after all this time.
Fiona.