what does it eat?
What a fantastic, fun and informative site! Good for you — and great for the rest of us. Can you identify this species of millipede for me? This one was photographed in early August in a bushlot near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I know they eat decaying plant and organic matter but would like to know if millipedes eat any type of fungi? Will look forward to hearing from you at the earliest time possible.
Sincerely,
Celina in Canada

Hi Celina,
What a marvelous photo of an American Giant Millipede, Narceus americanus. Since Millipedes feed on decaying organic matter, and mushrooms also depend on decaying organic matter as a food source, they share the same habitat. As to whether the Millipedes would eat fungus, we see no reason why they wouldn’t, though have no concrete information regarding this presumption.

Update: (01/20/2008) Millipede IDs
2/5/06 Narceus americanus (Beauvois) (Spirobolida: Spirobolidae) in typical coloration.
Rowland Shelley
North Carolina State Museum of Natural Science