millipede, but what species?
Hi bugman,
I love the website!!! I work for a non-profit environmental organization in Southwestern PA. We took a picture of this beautiful millipede while conducting field work one day. We are inducting it into our photo library but want to make sure that it is correctly identified as either native or exotic/invasive. Can you tell me what species of millipede this is and if it is native to the eastern US or, more specifically, to PA.
Thanks a lot,
Kylie Daisley, Projects Manager
Natural Biodiversity Conservation Strategy
Johnstown, PA

Hi Kylie,
Native and in your range. This is an American Giant Millipede, Narceus americanus. According to BugGuide, the range is “Southeastern US, north to Ohio, and west to Texas.”

Update: (01/20/2008) Millipede IDs
1/25/06 . Narceus americanus (Beauvois)
Rowland Shelley
North Carolina State Museum of Natural Science

3 Responses to American Giant Millipede

1. Seto Family says:

Their range appears now to extend as far north as Parry Sound, Ontario. We recently found several examples on a canoe trip through mixed hardwood & hemlock forest in that area.

2. Al Adams says:

I just bought a new house in the woods of NE PA and one of these just came cawling out of my propane fireplace. Are they dangerous?

Some Millipedes secrete cyanide when threatened, but not in quantities high enough to harm a human, to the best of our knowledge.